From the temperature dropping to being bored of trainers, we can all agree that over the knee boots are essential to a winter wardrobe. But sometimes it can be tricky to know the best way to style them…which is where we come in.
We’ve chosen our favourite over the knee boots and how to help you find your perfect pair. Because maybe we’re not marrying a prince, but just like Cinderella we need to make sure the shoe (or boot) fits.
The Style For The Occasion
Finding a new pair of boots isn’t that different to dating. You want to feel comfortable with them, you want your friends to love them and you want to be able to go anywhere you want with them. So you’re right to be picky, but we’re here to make sure it’s a start of a beautiful relationship.
Pointed Toe & Stiletto Heel
A pointed boot with a stiletto heel is a sure fire way to get you power walking into any situation. These Celine Over The Knee boots are perfect for a dressier occasion, or anywhere you need to add a bit of confidence to your strut.
Rounded Toe & Block Heel
If you want more of an everyday casual look, opting for a block heel is always a good choice. A block heel is easier for when you’re running for your train or if you’ll be on your feet all day. These Amber Mocha Boots are more neutral than a black, with a rounded toe and suede finish for a comfy but luxe look.
Round Toe & Flat Heel
The everyday what-did-I-wear-before-I-bought-these style boots. These Stacia Boots are a flat heeled jockey style boot that look great over skinny jeans or under a maxi skirt. And don’t worry, you don’t have to do any actual horse riding to qualify to wear them.
Pointed Toe & Squared Heel
A chunky heel is easier to walk in as well as being right on trend, a win-win. These Reign Suede Boots are in a ruched slouchy style which look amazing paired with a floral maxi dress for a night out or a lunch date.
Round Toe & Petite Stiletto Heel
If smart casual was a boot. This is a feminine style that is perfect for dressing up some knitwear or a floral dress. These tie up boots add an extra level of detail that will finish off your look for any special occasion.
For an edgier look and a boot that’s more comfortable to walk in but not totally flat – a flatform style cleated sole is ideal. These faux suede boots are the perfect comfy-girl option to keep it casual but switch it up from trainers.
There are four over the knee boot fabrics that we can’t get enough of.
- Velvet. Great news for all the velvet fans, finish off your velvet obsession with a pair of boots.
- Faux Suede. A longtime friend to footwear, faux suede is chic and oh-so strokeable.
- Faux Leather. Easy to clean and very durable. Plus, no animals were hurt in the making of.
- Microfibre. A new material that’s increasingly being used for footwear, with a similar look and feel to faux suede, this fabric is super easy to maintain and looks great paired with any kind of outfit.
Another sticking point with over the knee boots is often the fit. Those with narrower calves have the over-the-knee-turns ankle boot situation vs. wider calves who have the I can no longer feel my toes dilemma. Neither of which are exactly ideal.
You don’t have to cast over the knee boots off completely. There are still styles you can work with.
Boots with lace up detailing give you the option to have your boot fit as loose or as tight as you need it to.
Not only are ties a great option for smaller and larger legs, but buckles work great for both too. Our Buckle Over The Knee Boots are the perfect example of this style.
Another choice for wider calves are some of the over the knee boots created with wider cuts, allowing space for the legs to breathe and move with ease.
How To Style
Some people have the misconception that over the knee boots can be harder to style. So you want to wear a pair of over the knee boots for a brunch/city break/fancy dinner and want to know the best style for you? We’re here to help from casual day to big night out.
- Over the knee boots look great styled with a pair of jeans and jumper for during the day. It’s the perfect way to dress up one of your go-to looks.
- For a daytime look where you’ll be on the go, opt for a shorter dress with a chunky heel or flat for a way to add some edge to a feminine style.
- In the day, make the most of nude or lighter coloured boots that might not look as dressy for the evening. Plus there’s less chance of boot damaging spillages if you avoid wearing these on a big night out.
- Pointed toe and killer stiletto over the knee boots will make any outfit into a knock-out look.
- Let the boots do the talking and wear a casual outfit made glam with the addition of some lace up boots to add some detail to an outfit.
- For a slightly more formal affair, a wrap or maxi dress along with a pair of ruched over the knee boots will have everyone needing to know just where that whole outfit is from.