Got a destination wedding in the diary this summer? First of all, lucky you. Secondly, you’ll need outfits, and you might want some extra guidance on what to wear for ceremonies abroad. You’ll want to consider the wedding dress code, and factor in the location and climate too.
Lightweight fabrics, loose fits and bright prints are great choices for weddings abroad. Here I’ve rounded up some wedding outfit ideas for various destinations, from laidback beach weddings to destination city weddings. If you’d like to jump ahead to an edit, check out our wedding guest dresses, wedding guest jumpsuits, or wedding guest shoes, to get some inspiration for your next wedding abroad.
Five Tips For Dressing For A Wedding Abroad
- Think about the location: is it on the beach, in a city, or in a castle? For beach weddings, you may prefer a dress that’s light and flowy. For a city wedding, you might want something with a little more structure, that’s timeless and chic. If it’s a castle wedding, then a long, formal dress might be more appropriate.
- What is the climate like? If it’s humid, you might want to choose a natural fabric like cotton or linen. Details like a leg split or a loose-fitting tiered skirt can help to keep you cool, too.
- Don’t be afraid to add some colour. Bright shades and prints are perfect for a beach wedding, for instance. If it’s a formal wedding, you could opt for a jewel tone like emerald green or sapphire blue.
- Accessorise: don’t forget that it’s all in the details, so think about your bag, jewellery and shoes. They should complement rather than overpower your outfit.
- Have fun: remember, attending a wedding abroad is an adventure. Experiment with your outfit and choose something that makes you feel comfy and confident.
For Beach Weddings
This sleeveless wrap dress in blue floral print is so versatile. You can dress it up with heels or wedges for a beach wedding, but you’ll also get plenty of wears out of it back at home, for family BBQs or summer picnics. With its sleeveless style and split, it’ll keep you cool in the heat, and you can add a shawl for extra warmth.
For City Weddings
Wedding in a European city where the weather will be mild, but not hot? How about the Aurora shirred dress? With its long sleeves, cinched waist and flattering pleated skirt, it’s fun and romantic, and works in all weathers. This would be perfect for a wedding in Paris, for instance. Or for a church wedding, where you want a bit more coverage. Add a quilted bag and some minimal neutral heels to complete the look.
For Day Ceremonies
The bright and floaty multicoloured leopard midi dress always puts me in a good mood. The colourful print is just right for summer holiday weddings, and I love those finishing touches, like the frilly details. For a bright print like this, I’d go with neutral accessory pairings.
For Non-Traditional Weddings
Dresses not your vibe? Made to wow the crowd, the Melissa printed jumpsuit comes in a vibrant print and soft fabric. With its comfy wide-leg fit and wrap-over front, it lets you eat, drink and dance in total comfort. I’d wear this guest dress alternative with barely-theres heels and a neutral clutch to let the print do the talking.
For Long Haul Weddings
Jetting off somewhere tropical? If you’re playing on the theme, I love the beautiful short sleeve summer floral maxi dress. This yellow print is like wearing sunshine! Cut with a sweetheart neckline and flattering flowy skirt, it pairs well with a wicker clutch and wedges, or some woven sandals.
For Evening Ceremonies
Need sleeves for an evening wedding abroad? This long sleeve fuchsia dress brings a pop of colour to your wedding wardrobe and stands out from the crowd. Plus, it works with any bra and comes in a universally flattering wrap fit. You could wear this piece to a church wedding too, as it gives you more coverage. Pink and green is a gorgeous colour combo, so you could add some bright green heels, or go for metallic tones if you prefer.
For Black Tie Weddings Abroad
Want to make an impression at your fancy friend’s wedding? This stunning cobalt maxi dress is a total jaw-dropper. Designed with a halter neck and keyhole cut-out, and a split, it’s sexy and elegant at the same time. Made in a signature stretch fabric, this one is a really body-flattering choice. Pair with some drop earrings, strappy heels and a cream or metallic clutch to complete the look.